May 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

The race was good! Mine wasn’t a heroic performance, but it wasn’t a bad one either, and ultimately, I’m happy with the results.

I tossed and turned a bit Friday night. I had a lot of dreams about bring late and missing the race. I woke up at 4 am Saturday and never really fell back asleep. We were supposed to get up at 5 anyway, so it wasn’t much of a loss, but it was disorienting. We snoozed ‘til almost 5:30 and then finally got up, gathered our stuff and headed out to meet our friends and get a cab to Brooklyn.

The first cab didn’t know how to get to Prospect Park! What? We got out of that one and got in another one. ALSO didn’t know how to get to Prospect Park! But we decided that we couldn’t waste any more time so we guided him there as best we could. We made it just in time for our friends to check bags and for us to meet up with Chuck’s aunt so that we could give her her race bib.

She and I started together (Chuck is speedy so he was in a corral closer to the starting line) and ran the first two miles at a comfortable pace, probably just under 11 minutes/mile. After mile two we split up because I had to stop to go to the bathroom. There was a line and I wasted a lot of time. When I got back on the course (the first 7 miles are inside Prospect Park, and then the last 6 are a straightaway down Ocean Parkway and the finish is on the boardwalk in Coney Island), I sped up to make up lost time. The next three miles were probably at a 9 minute/mile pace. Then I had to stop. Again. To go to the bathroom. Again. I know this isn’t a lovely story, but it’s the truth. I’m really annoyed with myself, but nature calls. Whatever.

After the second bathroom stoop my pace evened out around 10 minutes/mile. I wanted to make up the additional lost time but I was worried about burning out so instead I just focused on maintaining my pace. We made the transition out of the park and onto Ocean Parkway, and even though it was nice and flat, it was also really boring. There were hardly any people cheering – hardly any people at all, really – and the scenery basically didn’t change at all for the full 6 miles. So I just waited for each water station and each mile marker to keep me going.

At the 10 mile mark I spotted another Run to Remember shirt ahead of me, and I caught up with my buddy Sara. We ran the next mile together and the company was much appreciated. At 11 we split again. At this point, as usual, I just wanted the race to be over. I tried to concentrate on even breathing and putting one foot in front of the other. I was hoping to finish in 2:15 despite the lost bathroom break time, but when I saw that I was already at 2:05 when I passed mile 12, I knew it was over. I finished in 2:17. Not excellent, but certainly not terrible. I like to think I could have come in as fast as 2:10 if I hadn’t had to stop twice.

I met Chuck after the race and we sped back to Manhattan. And speaking of speedy, Chuck finished in a whopping 1:50! A full 14 minutes better than his last half. Pretty impressive, eh? I’m so proud.

I’m debating between yoga and running tonight, and I have a sneaking suspicion yoga is going to win! I need a good stretch and a little relaxation.


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. you go girl. mozel tov, even with the bathroom breaks.

  2. thanks ab. xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: